Tuesday, August 01, 2006

the epic

Saturday I raced the Brianhead Epic--100 miles of off-road racing. I would say "off-road fun", but the two years that I have done this race it has been wet and muddy which I really don't find fun. Granted in total I did have a great time, but I would prefer a dry course. I can handle damp. I fell into a puddle that was easily two fee deep. It started raining not long after that, so it didn't matter that I was already soaking wet. It also happened to start raining while I was in the muddiest part of the course.
Then again, it was probably my own fault. Had I not crashed in the first ten miles losing time and then having to spend additional time at the aid station getting cleaned up, I may have all but missed the rain. Then again, the time spent cleaning up was pretty moot because my road rash got covered in mud anyways.
I did not think the crash was that bad, but Chris--who had decided to ride with me because his hamstring is messed up--insisted that it was catastrophic. I think he was just nervous about my ability to finish after crashing and making sure I was okay.
The bright side is that I improved my time by 20 minutes over last year in spite of the shaky start. I can't find the results right now, but will link it later.

No comments: