Thursday, May 22, 2008

We are leaving for Moab/Durango today for some single speeding before and after the Iron Horse Classic. This is the only road race I do each year and love it. They close the road and we get to ascend from Durango to Silverton.
This year I am a bit nervous. The weather may not cooperate. The race administration had an email sent to all the racers indicating that inclimate weather is expected--rain and/or snow on a couple of the mountain passes. Depending on the severity of the weather, the race could be shortened or cancelled all together. From more than one experience, I know that I do not do well when I meet wet, cold weather on mountain passes. I am not sure which would be worse having the race cancelled or having to drop out again because my body is not able to generate enough heat to descend safely. Probably cancellation...right?
But being the optimist that I am, I will hold out hope that the weather won't be that bad. I can handle cold weather, but if the wet can stay away I would be much obliged.

No comments: