Thursday, January 17, 2013

Silly Sesamoids

I returned to the Doc and I was braced for the worst but hoping for the best. I did not anticipate what I got...something in between. I did not have any pain when he palpitated the area which was definitely good. So he advised me to continue to take it easy, but I can return to wearing normal but supportive shoes.
I pressed as to what "take it easy" means. He really did not have a good answer. He could not tell me exactly (which is really what I wanted) what I can and cannot do. But he cautioned that if I do too much I am definitely at risk for re-injuring it and that would set me back to the start.
I asked a bunch of questions (again) to ensure I understood (or thought I did). I inquired why or how it happened. He could not say definitively but assumes it was some sort of blunt force to the ball of my foot most likely when my toes were flexed. Thus, I still blame cross training and Chris is now more vehement than ever against any type of cross training which ends up being a source of contention at our house.
My take away or interpretation is that I still am off any impact activity. I am steering clear of running and jumping for another couple of weeks or so. No impact is okay but proceed with caution. Most of my shoes still hurt/bother/irritate it. So maybe continuing to wear my shoe/splint is a better idea. Spin not clipped in but in riding shoes for their stiff sole is not too bad. I rode the trainer clipped in and am okay seated but when I stand I can definitely feel it. I am not sure if "feeling it" is bad or not. And when does "feeling it" transition into pain? Normally, I would ignore or just push through but when I think of going back and losing more time that scares me. As such I am somewhat at a loss as to how much I can do.
Hopefully, I choose wisely.

Borrowed from http://www.summitmedicalgroup.com/library/adult_health/sma_sesamoid_injury/
 I actually had a non displaced fracture through the medial sesamoid bone under my big toe and a probable partial fracture (or crack) of the lateral. I essentially got a "two-for".


Borrowed from http://www.concordortho.com/patient-education/topic-detail-popup.aspx?topicID=2b3c3b57c10d7dad6ed878f36b2e9493

The sesamoid bones are embedded in tendons and act as a pulley system so the big toe can articulate and push off when walking or running.

No comments: