Monday, June 22, 2015

I got knocked down, but I got up again.

The Thunderbolt and I got off to a rocky start. I don't hold the bike accountable though. I am quite sure it was  result of user error. I had tweaked/twisted my knee previously. I was not sure about racing the Draper ICUP. I went back and forth and decided I had better. I think I did not prepare well and felt it on the climb, so I tried to make up time on the descent. I ended up, in what I perceived to be somewhat spectacularly, flying off the course. This just added to my discontent so I decided to just ride my bike as opposed to race it. I finished the "race", but I was passed by just about everybody...and I mean everybody. This was the third incident/crash, so I assumed I was good. So far, so good.
I then spent some time recovering and just taking it easy. My knee feels better although it was never that bad on the bike. I raced Deer Valley and felt good. I had a blast. I love, love that course. I wasn't sure I would get to race it, but Chris' step dad came up to help out. So grateful. I needed this day.
The next week was the Wasatch Back 50. I was incredibly nervous. It was warm and I was not sure how it was going to go for me. I started okay, but slowly made my way into contention on the climb. I lost a couple of places as I bobbled a pass. I just rode steady. On the descent I caught back up and was in 2nd after the first lap. I was stoked. Then lap two hit HARD. I tried to keep my wits about me and just ride steady. I lost a couple of places again and I hoped I could get them back as we descended.
The descent was LONG. I was in no mans land by myself. I had no idea if I was going fast or not as there was NOBODY around. And then just before I got to the road I saw it...my carrot. I chased. I pushed so hard on the double track and entered the last little bit of single track on third places wheel. She slowed and I got into her rear wheel and I thought that was it. But just then she bobbled and I was able to get around. Third place by seconds for me. Ahh....
And Chris had good races at each of these event too. That makes it even sweeter.

No comments: