Sunday, September 30, 2007

Balance. I have come to realize that single speed riding is all about balance. Of course, all cycling involves balance, but I am talking more than just the balance that was learned when I was six. I struggle climbing when my weight is not properly distributed between the front and back wheels. I am pretty good about keeping my weight back, but sometimes I get it too far back and I lose traction with the front wheel. The skill is rocking my weight back and forth between the front and back wheels with the proper timing. This becomes increasingly difficult when I am tired.
Which brings to mind another balance between overtraining and rest. I can't remember the last time I didn't ride. It may have been convention. I have enjoyed riding...it has been great lately. I need to take a day or two off this week because we are going to moab this weekend to pre-ride the 24 hour course. We will do some additional riding of course. Then next week I really need to take it easy so I am well rested. I am pretty nervous about doing this single speed. I hope I can do well and feel good.
Here are some pictures from up Provo Canyon. The fall riding has been incredible. Well, unless Kenny is reading this and then it has been terrible. (see http://www.fatcyclist.com/2007/08/ --August 26th) The worst fall season ever. I wish I was injured so I did not have to ride either.

No comments: