Tuesday, June 14, 2011

A Decent Deer Valley

 I felt pretty good. On the start line, I was not sure how I was going to feel. My warm-up did not feel great but it was not difficult either. The competition was tough per the usual. ET mentioned before the race that a new fast girl moved into Park City. Jokingly, she said expressed her dissatisfaction with faster people moving into the area. I reminded her that she is fast and while technically lives in Vegas spends her summers here just to race. I found her perspective funny given the circumstances. I have to agree though, it does seem as though faster girls are continuing to enter the I. Cup.
So the usual suspects were there and then some on the start line. I was nervous. In fact, I leaned over to KB on the start and stated that I was not feeling so good. Luckily it came together for me.
Off the start we were all together. We tried to find our places on the climb. ET had bike issues and fell back. I knew it was only a matter of time before she would return to the group. The duo from Ogden (O-town to the cool kids) were just in front of me. I followed KB on the first lap. She was riding steady but not pushing as hard as I felt I could. I came around her as we started the second lap and eventually caught SK. I was able to get by her for a bit, but then bobbled a switch back. We rode together to the start of our final lap.
On the third lap we started the single track with an Expert Male between us. As we finished the first descent I realized that I focused on the guy and lost SK. I chased and got close but could not close in on her. Son of a...!
Oh, well. I felt good and had a fun race finishing 4th. (First and 2nd were off the front from the start.)
A couple of items. First the guy I tried to pass but ended up running into a tree while chasing down SK on my final lap. I apologize if I misunderstood you. I thought you were yielding the trail. None the less, I would like to apologize for the miscommunication and/or if I disrupted your race.
And a note to self: It is OK to be more aggressive. If you want to pass, simply say as much. That is all.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Good race, nice job! I don't know how you girls do it. You did 3 laps in the same amount of time I did 2 and a half. CRAZY fast.